How Do I Know If I Need to Hire an Architect for My Home Addition Project?
Homeowners often ask if they should hire an architect or a designer for their home remodeling projects. You don’t need to hire an architect for small projects like enlarging a window or removing a wall you no longer need. Experienced general contractors in the Delaware Valley can handle the design and construction from the start to the end.
Consider hiring an architect or design professional to plan the project for sizeable additions like new kitchens and whole-house renovations. These professionals can take care of the aesthetic considerations and ensure they blend with the structural requirements of the project. Here’s your guide to what an architect can do to make your project successful.
When You May Need an Architect for Your Home Additions
Hiring an architect to plan your home addition will save you money and time in the long run. It also ensures the work is done right. However, if you’re not sure yet if you need to hire one, remodeling contractors in the Delaware Valley give the following reasons for doing so:
The Project Affects the Structure of Your Home
The law doesn’t make hiring an architect mandatory, and the decision is up to you. Some homeowners successfully undertake significant home remodeling and addition projects, including refurbishments and extensions, without hiring an architect. Others employ one for relatively minor projects like redesigning a kitchen or bathroom.
Generally, having an architect in a project that affects the structure of your home and your home’s exterior, such as loft conversions, extensions, or garage or basement conversions, assures you of a safe and legal addition.
Your Local Building Authorities Require an Architect for the Project
Most building codes and regulations don’t require an architect. However, if your house is in a densely populated area, an architect could be necessary. Check with the local authorities in your area to ensure you keep up with the legal requirements to avoid getting into trouble later.
You Need Helping Designing and Managing the Project
A major remodeling project is intensive and costly. You must make many decisions on things you probably know nothing or little about. A good architect would be the intermediary and advisor to guide your project toward the best outcome. They can also help minimize mistakes and have your project completed in good time,
At the same time, a professional architect can help you manage the overall project. They can also monitor the project and ensure it stays on track. The professional can also help you navigate the requirements by the local planning authorities.
What Are the Different Levels of Architectural Design Services?
Architects differ from home designers because they’re licensed to practice. They offer various services in the renovation process.
Depending on the need of your project and budget, an architect can work with remodeling contractors in the Delaware Valley to provide the following services:
- Creating the architectural drawings: The primary service architects provide is drafting architectural drawings. The final drawings form the basis when applying for a building or remodeling permit.
- Advising on fixtures and finishes: You will be less stressed if you have an architect in your project as they can advise and help you decide on the finishes, such as lighting, faucets, cabinets, bathroom tile, doorknobs, and appliances. This is usually the job of interior designers, but an architect can help you too. Remember to ask in the interview.
- Connecting you to contractors: Architects often work with a large team of general contractors, and they can help you find reliable Delaware Valley remodeling contractors to work on your project.
How Do I Find the Right Architect for My Remodeling Project?
Once you’ve decided to hire an architect for your home addition project, finding the right one is crucial. The one you choose should be skilled in designing the kind of addition you want. They should also have good communication skills and a cost model that works for you.
Interviewing the Architect
At the first meeting with an architect, you want to talk about your ideas for the project, your budget, and the timelines for the project. Bring to the interview any inspirational photographs you have for the projects and any plans for your existing home. The visuals will help the professional decide if yours is a project they want to take on based on your budget.
You also must come to the interview prepared with questions to help you understand what to expect from the partnership. Some questions to ask them include the following:
- What is your design philosophy? You want to discover the architect’s vision for your project.
- What is your process? Find out if they follow an established method or work in phases.
- Have you handled similar projects in the past? This will help you gauge the architect’s experience and skills.
- Who will you be working with? Is the architect coming from a large firm, who is the contact person, and who will handle what?
- What problems do you foresee with the project? If the site is complex, you want to be able to budget for other miscellaneous costs upfront.
- How much time will the project take? Ensure the architect has enough time to dedicate to your project and complete it successfully.
- Do you have references for projects similar to this one? It’s advisable to check other projects the architect has handled before and how satisfied the project owners were with the results.
These questions will help you grasp what each architect you interview can offer. You’ll be in a position to make an informed decision based on the answers you get.
A Top Rated General Contractor Helping You Remodel Your Home
If you have some additions to add to your home, you may wonder if it’s necessary to hire an architect. Home projects are expensive, and you should have people with the right skills to handle them. Consider paying an architect to help you from the planning to the completion of the project for satisfactory results.
Hauser Contractors has a team of skilled remodeling contractors dedicated to helping you meet your home renovation goals. We can help you navigate every step of the process by customizing every detail to meet your exact specifications. Call us at (610) 428-7842 to schedule a FREE case evaluation.